Sunday, October 9, 2011

Are you ready for some Redman?

Greetings yinzers and non-yinzers alike. Welcome to Week 5. 

Rashard Mendenhall is out today with a hamstring injury (correction, added 12:19 p.m., Mendenhall is active today, but won't start). Isaac Redman will get the start at running back.

If I'm Mendenhall, I'm a little uneasy right now. It's not out of the realm of possibility that he might not get his starting job back. No, I'm not mindlessly drooling over Redman's six carries for 40 yards last week. I just think that when Redman carries the ball, he's a lot more decisive when he attacks the defense.

In my reaction to Mendenhall's comments about Osama bin Laden's death in May, I suggested that he might be too intelligent for his own good on the football field. His tip-tapping running style hints that he thinks too much when carrying the football.

Those comments by Mendenhall, by the way, aren't as bad as what Steelers fan Hank Williams Jr. said on Fox & Friends this week. No matter what point you're trying to make, you have to stay away from any mention of Hitler. That's just asking for trouble.

I think ESPN did the right thing by firing Williams. That said, I'm going to miss hearing "Are You Ready for Some Football?"

Finally, in honor of the late Al Davis, all I have to say to the Steelers today is "Just win, baby"

No comments:

Post a Comment